About Me

My photo
Interested in saving and investing for financial freedom. Mid to late career IT worker with 20+ years in the state retirement system seeking alternate income through dividend growth investments. Final goal is to pass it down to my children and that they do the same for their children-a continuing generational wealth transfer.

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Year End Wrap-Up, Rebalancing and Review


This has been a difficult year for many including myself with investing. I have witnessed my capital decrease 1.75% even with dividends and options premiums. I was unable to call the bottom in oil and took a huge loss on Kinder Morgan and Cummins. I'm lucky I still have a pair of pants on! My passive dividend income has increased throughout this whole fiasco though and that was the purpose-a safe reliable income stream. Now as I approach retirement I must decrease risk. I am going to stay clear of speculation and barely investment grade companies bordering on junk credit ratings(KMI). I am reviewing my portfolio for companies with lower credit ratings (there won't be many) and will work to swap them out. I also do not intend to put any more capital to work in 2016 in stocks. I am considering I-bonds and municipals. I currently hold T, JNJ, PG, PEG, AAPL, BA, F, GE, GILD, KHC, OHI, XOM. I also hold an iShares fund and a health care fund, I use options once or twice a month, selling puts and calls.

Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza, Happy Festivus or whatever else you may celebrate! Take care of your health as it pre empts everything else-spend time with people you like and doing things to help others. Keep a gratitude list and read/edit it often.

1 comment:

  1. When I was applying for a loan to purchase my building as a small business owner in a tough situation, conventional banks said they could not help me. Mr Pedro, a loan officer, sat down with me, heard my situation and decided that I was worth taking a chance on. Here we are 3 years later and I have just renewed my loan for another 7 years. I couldn’t have purchased my building without the help of Mr Pedro and will be forever indebted to them for giving me a chance when no one else would."
    I will recommend you to contact a loan officer Mr Pedro on the information below if you need any financial assistance.
    Email & Chat: +1 863 231 0632 pedroloanss@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete